BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Aussie Diaries: First Impressions

This will be a beginning of a new series to document some "pearls" from my most recent Australian vacation! We decided to visit the land Down Under for our anniversary trip and it's somewhere that I've wanted to visit for a looong looong time. Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to go see it. I'm not exactly sure why - maybe it's the fact that there's so many cute wildlife there or the fact that's it's the farthest possible place that I can think of?!

Anyways, luckily Pat has some relatives there, so we were able to stay with them for the duration of our vacation. We travelled to Sydney via Vancouver, BC, which was ~15 hour flight. I had thought it would be ~20 hours, so I was thankful for that since I am a horrible flier! We arrived in their "fall" and it was warm (70s) but the evenings dipped down to the lower 60s which made it a little too cold for shorts all the time.

I've always envisioned Aussies as these surfer-types - super laid back and friendly. However, that was not exactly the case. Whenever someone overheard us speaking, they would ask if we were Americans with a cocky attitude and a "I think you're stupid" kind of tone. But the instant we told them we were Canadians, they switch over to being friendly and say how much more they liked us over the Americans! That was a complete surprise to me!

Overall we had a great time in Australia and can't wait to go back and visit again!

0 comments: